The ramblings of a freelance writer, novelist and avid reader.

Thursday, August 25, 2011

A Month of Fundays: Day 21 – Find Shapes in the Clouds

I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud
By William Wordsworth

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Fluttering and dancing in the breeze.

Continuous as the stars that shine
And twinkle on the milky way,
They stretched in never-ending line
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance.

The waves beside them danced; but they
Out-did the sparkling waves in glee:
A poet could not but be gay,
In such a jocund company:
I gazed---and gazed---but little thought
What wealth the show to me had brought:

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
They flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with the daffodils.



Clouds are cool.

And that’s my blog post for today. Bye.

OK, fine. I guess it can be longer. I planned on doing the cloud thing with Chris, but he’s all work, work, paint, paint, pull up carpet, pull up carpet today. So after helping for a little while and then just being in the way, I walked outside myself and looked up into the heavens.

I’d like to tell you I had some great spiritual revelation – or at least that I hashed some stuff out; but really, I just stared at some clouds. Yes, I promise I was wearing sunglasses and did not look directly into the sun. The sky is really blue and if you stare at the white puffy things long enough, you can see almost anything.


One cosmic Rorschach test coming your way:
I saw a butterfly, a witch on a broomstick, a bunny, glasses, cotton candy, and a VW beetle looking car. I also saw lots of Simpson’s clouds that looked more animated than actual, real life objects. But mostly I saw clouds. Yep, just clouds. Still, it’s a beautiful day; I can’t complain about sunshine, green grass, blue skies or white, puffy clouds at all.

Is there a cloud deciphering book yet? You know like those unraveling-your-dreams books? I’d write one but I’ve had absolutely no psychology training of any kind – or any mental health classes I can recall…nope. Wait, I did take a domestic abuse class during undergrad work when I was still pre-law. Yeah, that’s probably not going to help me unlock the secrets of the clouds now though. No demystifying-cloud books for me then. I guess I really don’t know clouds at all.


Was cloud watching fun?
Yes. More than fun, it was relaxing and a little detoxifying – which was honestly surprising. I enjoyed the alone time, but then I fell asleep outside. This is only dangerous because I’m pale and easily sunburn-able. At least it wasn’t like high school and the marching band trip where I fell asleep in the sun wearing a swimsuit while laying on top of a metal box. Then I had to wear a 7 lb wool uniform over the second-degree burns. I really am special, good times. I’ve actually blocked that pain and blistering out of my head enough to fall asleep outside again. Great! On the plus side, I didn’t burn at all this time because I was fully clothed and in the shade for the most part. The cicadas woke me up – they are loud and sound like electrical live wire this year.

Go, sunshine and puffy clouds! Boo, red and puffy skin. Don’t have THAT much fun today.

Picture: Your cloud and what you think it looks like. Ask others what they see; I bet it will be different.

Song: I was going to play Enya’s “Caribbean Blue”, but then Sherri suggested Joni Mitchell’s “Both Sides Now”. A song I own (unless you meant the Judy Collins rendition – or the Hayley Westenra cover – I don’t have those) and of course, duh. That is the song to play. I will also add Johnny Nash’s “I Can See Clearly Now”, because Enya and Joni Mitchell together in one post seems a little heavy.

Tomorrow: Go Play in a Playground. Yes, [insert fist pump] an excuse to swing on a swing-set, yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment